The Food Committee has scheduled a meeting of its own this , as explained below.
Eight members of the transition food committee met during breakout at transition meeting last week, and did some brainstorming about interests and projects. Following is a draft of ideas we came up with. We have scheduled an interim meeting to be held on The goal of the meeting will be to plan some specific projects.
- Field Trips
- Speakers, presenters, documentaries (at meetings or between)
- Venues—Canning kitchen?
Community involvement, how much?
- Extension agent
- Contact CEO’s, human resources, churches etc.
- Schools—gardens? Local foods in lunch program?
- Community gardens, or help with individual
- Winter gardens
- Seedsaving & sharing
- Services—tilling, etc.
- Beekeeping, maple sugaring
- Poultry, egg production
- Livestock, grass-fed beef
Food processing, preservation
- Canning, freezing, drying
- Meat processing, meat processers
- Food storage—root cellaring, etc.
- Using local and seasonal foods
- Cooking from scratch, avoiding processed and prepackaged foods
Food coop--Frankferd Farms www.frankferd.com